Oxford school shooter’s parents are at-fault

James and Jennifer Crumbley were rightfully charged in the school shooting, allegedly conducted by their 15-year-old son Ethan Crumbley.

A  15-year-old gunman opened fire at Oxford High school in Michigan on November 30th, 2021, shooting 11 people. Four students were killed and several others were injured. 

Ethan Crumbley was later arrested in connection to the shooting. He was charged the following day with a one count of terrorism and four counts of first degree murder. If convicted, he could spend up to life in prison

On December 3, prosecutors took a step at filing involuntary manslaughter charges against Crumbley’s parents, stating that the two parents bought a handgun that was used for deadly shooting as a Christmas present. 

The Crumbley’s case will be going through the judicial system. If what the authorities are saying is true, this wouldn’t just be about gun control, but it will be a reflection on American gun culture and the adults who also fail to keep these weapons out of reach from troubled teens. 

Authorities say James Crumbley, the father, bought the pistol four days before the shooting. A social media post from the two parents confirmed that it was for their son. Before the shooting, a teacher was searching for firearm ammunition. When they contacted his parents, Crumbley’s mother texted him “Lol I’m not mad at you. You have to learn to not get caught.” 

According to the Washington Post on the day of the shooting, the Crumbleys were summoned to the school after a teacher saw a drawing by their son of a handgun pointing at the words, “The thoughts won’t stop. Help me.”

Children should be kept away from firearms at all times, especially teenagers who have no control over their emotions. They could blow up at any moment.

And it’s not just about teenagers hurting others but hurting themselves, as well.  Thirty-six percent of child and teen deaths are suicide by gun. According to the Everytown research oraganization, ¨Over the past decade, the firearm suicide rate among children and teens has increased by 59 percent¨. 

What’s even worse was that Crumbley’s parents allowed this to go on, even though they knew their child was troubled. Because of this, they are responsible for the events that unfolded. They encouraged his behavior even when the school reached out and told them. 

Tenth grade English teacher Ms.Stephens agrees with the court’s decision to charge the parents.

“ Hearing about the Oxford school shooting weighed heavily on my spirit,” said Ms.Stephens. She added that both the parents and the students shared the responsibility for the death of those four students, that if they had secured those firearms this wouldn’t have happened. 

“If school officials had performed a search of his locker and his backpack after being notified of his disturbing behavior, the incident that day definitely could have been prevented.” Ms.Stephens added. 

There were so many things that could’ve been done that would have prevented the catastrophic events that unfolded on November 30th. The lives that were taken, and the victims’ families that were affected, are directly connected to the irresponsibility of the alleged shooter’s parents.