COVID-19 restrictions established for hybrid learning in PGCPS

On Thursday, April 8, schools opened back up for hybrid learning in order to allow students to continue their studies in the building. While there are many who think this is all happening too soon and that we should wait, some students disagree, like sophomore Aaren A. 

“I think it’s safe, as long as we keep our space and keep clean,” said Aaren.  “There also don’t seem to be a lot of students going back yet so I think it’s good.”. So that begs the question, is hybrid learning safe? 

As of May 23rd there have been a total of 244 new cases of COVID-19 in Maryland with 44 of those cases coming from Prince George’s County. According to the New York Times Maryland Coronavirus Map and Case Count places like Dorchester county and Somerset county seem to be the places that have a higher risk for catching COVID-19. Prince Georges County is at a high risk and Calvert county is at a moderate risk with no places being deemed as a low risk area.  The vaccine is being opened up to more people as the County Health Department COVID-19 vaccination clinics and the State’s vaccination site at Six Flags in Upper Marlboro are offering the vaccine to people 12 and older.(links to register will be at the end of the article).

PGCPS has  also taken steps to ensure the safety of teachers and students, according to their website 

The PGCPS website says, “Vaccination clinics will continue in collaboration with the Prince George’s County Health Department and Kaiser Permanente. The Maryland COVID Testing Program will allow PGCPS to offer rapid and diagnostic testing for both symptomatic and asymptomatic students and staff.” 

In schools like Parkdale, there is tape on some of the desks to mark off which seats are available to sit in and which ones are not to be used. This goes for all areas of the building including the buses. Everyone in the building is required to wear a face mask that covers the nose and mouth completely, and staff and students are encouraged to use hand sanitizer and wash their hands throughout the school day. Students have to follow the arrows placed on the ground when going to their classes. During lunch, students are let in one at a time in order to keep everyone at a safe distance of six feet.  

Excerpt from the PG County website

The Prince George’s County Health Department is currently in Phase 3:

County Health Department COVID-19 vaccination clinics are offering Pfizer doses to individuals 12 and older who live in the County. First-dose appointments can be scheduled at mypgc.us/ProudToBeProtected or by calling 311 and then pressing # for assistance. Second-dose appointments will be scheduled during the first visit. Those under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian present at the clinic to provide consent.

In addition, the State’s vaccination site at Six Flags in Upper Marlboro is offering Pfizer doses to individuals 12 and older. Call 1-855-MD-GOVAX or visit coronavirus.maryland.gov to schedule an appointment. A limited number of no-appointment vaccinations are available at Six Flags Monday – Saturday 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Pharmacies and other health care providers across Maryland are also offering vaccine doses to individuals 12 and older. Use our vaccine clinic locator to find information about additional clinics in the County.